"Sculptures are drawings you fall over in the dark." — Henry Moore
Hello to all 213 members on our mailing list and welcome to Spring.
When I first joined the Association in 1993 or thereabouts there were 45 sculptors on the mailing list. Someone created, printed, folded and posted the newsletter to members - printed matter only rates…. Such a long time ago. And in those days meetings might be attended by 15 members - not every time, but for a particular speaker or issue. That’s a third of the members. These days there are greater calls on our time and attention. We now manage an advanced website - first dreamt in 1998, we have “cloud” computing for our exhibition entry forms - thank you Google. And we manage two, three or four exhibitions every year instead of just the faithful Annual & Awards.
And now - I just checked the website - we have 95 financial members and 108 yet to log in to the website and decide whether to renew their membership or become ex-members.Operating online does mean we overcome the tyranny of distance to some extent and can include regional sculptors in meetings - but it is never quite the same as face to face or to being there in a real space with sculpture.
I hope lots of members saw Patrick Duffey’s exhibition in Ballarat. I hope many of you will get to Toorak Village to see the range of work on show there… Don’t forget the Eltham Rotary Exhibition which opens this Saturday 29th. Not to mention the Deakin Small Sculpture Exhibition where some members’ works are featured. There is plenty on in spite of the ASV not having a formal exhibition in this half of the year. May you be rewarded with plenty of interested visitors and happy new homes for your work.
The committee is gearing up for exhibitions in 2027 - so keep your inspiration working.
We are also preparing for our Annual General Meeting in October. I believe we have an amazing guest speaker lined up for our AGM - Danial Adgag who stepped up and did such an inspiring job of lead judge for the Annual and Awards exhibition will talk to us about his own work. You can attend the meeting in person or online - be sure not to miss it!
Also not to be missed will be the election of office bearers for 2027. Whilst I intend to continue the maintenance and improvement of the website, it is time for me to step down as president. I’m ok to keep cooking pizza for the committee meetings if that works out but it’s time for a breath of fresh air on the committee… a younger leader to remind us of joy as well as commitment to our art.
So happy sculpting and I’ll see you in the Spring.
Jenny Rickards
No comments:
Post a Comment