The Association of Sculptors of Victoria is an inclusive, not-for-profit collective of contemporary artists whose purpose is to inspire,stimulate and advance the appreciation, creation, and exploration of three-dimensional art in society.

MIFGS Judge's Talk - Pamela Irving

Thanks so much to Paul Cacioli for inviting me to judge the ASV works for this year’s International Flower and Garden Show.


Of course these events don’t just happen. It takes a committed group to put this together. May I congratulate you all on being part of this magnificent event and I also congratulate the hard working committee for your efforts.

To be honest your participation in this exhibition is a prize in itself.

In other words, over the next few days, your work will present itself in front of the eyes of over 100, 000 people. That’s wonderful exposure for yourselves and a great educational resource for the general public- a source of stimulation for one and all.

All of your works provide inspiration, education and will certainly prompt discussion as to personal preferences and artistic tastes.

My choices of the winners in each category will also hopefully promote discussion……with a bit of “Oh yes I can see why she chose that, ….or nah….it wouldn’t get my vote. I think my role is to try and draw attention to works of differing fabrication and skill levels and provide a beginning for discussion amongst the group as well as the public.

We all know that Sculpture is probably one of the hardest art forms.

It can be hard on your body, hands and people’s understanding of what to do with it is often misunderstood.

People understand painting, they know you just put them on the wall …..but sculpture with its three dimensions, it has so many applications and variations of form and function.


I think the idea of bringing a sculpture exhibition to the Melbourne Flower and Garden Show goes a long way in assisting people's understanding of what to do with a sculpture. And what sculpture can be.


Paul charged me with the task to select 9 works within 3 categories.

Courtyard pieces,

Garden works

And Estate or Monumental works.

There were at least 15 works which captured my attention and exited my imagination. Sadly I could not give out another 6 prizes in addition to the 9, but I think I will make a special mention of them anyway. I will do so at the end.


I will start with the Courtyard Sculpture.


1st No 37: Lockdown 6- with a Little help from my friends

I have given this first place for many reasons. Firstly, as noted, it's a work about the Pandemic and subsequent lockdowns. Sculpture, like any other art form, should reflect our times. In this work, a narrative work, we are reminded of those difficult times. It captures both humour and sadness, and the loss and loneliness that many of us suffered. I actually think it’s an important work not because of its workmanship but because of its content. The clever use of wine bottles as the basis for the characters to be wrapped around symbolised some people’s overindulgence - their escape from the rigours of the plague called COVID-19. I liked the idea of shelves being used for the artist's imaginary bottle characters to rest upon. Actually, I am surprised that there were not more works reflecting on the once in a century societal upheaval of the last 3 years.


2nd No 30: Barn Owl

Barn owl is a beautiful sculpture. It captures the beauty and majesty of owls. Actually, as I was standing there looking at her, I looked down to find some actual bones on the ground with claws attached as though it was the remnants of last night’s feed - overnight, the owl metamorphosed into this solid bronze creature. I was impressed by its elegant craftsmanship, perched on its branch, as well as artistic beauty. At any moment, it looks like it might decide to fly off.


Special Mention: No 18 Callistemons

I really loved these. The permanence of these stunning flowers and pods really would suit a small courtyard garden. I’m sure these will be snapped up by some keen garden designer.


The next category is Garden Sculpture.


1st No 71: Cruising the Ocean

First prize goes to this magnificent turtle. I love the up-cycled/re-cycled objects meticulously joined together. Again i think this is another one of those contemporary pieces which reflect the current trend to re-use objects. You could spend a long time looking at all the internal objects which work together to constitute this work.


2nd No 90: Cactus Sculpture

The second prize goes to the Cactus Sculpture. After I first gazed upon it, I kept coming back to this work. It looks beautiful in the round, would look amazing in a courtyard nestled amongst real cactus. I think the contrast of the rusty surfaces would really look beautiful against real green and grey surfaces.


Special Mention: No 64 Nest

This work, mostly created from “found objects” is terrific. I loved the absurdly small bird aloft the bright blue spikes. A kind of huge man made callistemon. I thought this also reflects our time- contemporary sculptural practices. Especially, the plastic combined with the metal. It was also great to see a bright coloured, bold work amongst the greenery and metals.


Estate Works.


1st No 108: Bright Eyes (lyrebird)


When one thinks of estate works, one thinks large. One thinks monolithic. And grand. I award first prize to the magnificent lyre bird. Like many others here, this sculpture says something about a moment in time- an historical glimpse of birdlife after a catastrophic event. It was created after the 2019/2020 bushfires in East Gippsland. The artist walking and driving through the area hearing the sounds of the lyrebirds. I can't help but wonder whether the lyrebird's song, known as a great imitator- were they making sounds like crackling fire. It’s a fabulous work, congratulations to the artist. It truly deserves to land in a regal estate to live out its days.


2nd No 101: Its a Battle


The second prize went to Its a Battle. A metaphorical work about nationhood. When I arrived yesterday to judge, it was early and the sun was just starting to come out after buckets of rain. The watery coat exposed the beautiful stone which contrasted with the heavy metal. It looked stunning. I might add that it looks magnificent when dry, too. Again I can see this work on a rolling meadow with space and distance around it to truly appreciate it.


Special Mention No 111 Fire + Lightning

My special mention in this category goes to Fire + Lightening.

It really does capture that strike made by lightening. The base has beautiful patterning which will will become even more apparent over time as nature plays her part as it matures with the elements.

A very successful sculpture.


Now, I’d also like to mention a few more pieces that I really loved but didn’t have enough prizes but I hope the mention encourages you all to enjoy these works, and to purchase them.

In the courtyard category I greatly admired no 7 “It’s mine” for the beautiful play between human and canine. The tug of war that us doing owners enjoy with their canine friends was captured in the movement in this piece.

I loved both Ruffled and Adelina no2 52 + 53 very stunning. Elegant works with lovely carving.

I adored no 55 Brown Dog, how could you not love the cheeky expression?. That scupture is just waiting patiently for some dog lover to snap that up. It is especially good to have inanimate canines around the house or workplace, now that people have returned to the office.

In the Estate category I also loved no 114 Plumbers Nightmare.

Great humour, I think it perhaps should have been in the courtyard category?? I could see that in a courtyard against a wall really bringing out the plumber nightmare.

I also greatly admired no 118 Giddy Up. It is both Playful and whimsical.

And lastly no 123 Nucleus made from 100 % recycled roofing steel.I think its a fantastic contemporary piece. I can see that buried a little amongst plants. I also enjoyed looking through the tubes and seeing the tree and sky through the cylinders.


Congratulations to everyone. I think really you are all winners. Enjoy the show and may you enjoy the placement of many many red dots next to your magnificent works. They deserve it!!

Pamela Irving Judge

The prize winners are as follows:

Courtyard Sculpture.

1st No 37: Lockdown 6- with a Little help from my friends – Jenny Rickards
2nd No 30: Barn Owl – Jake Mikoda
Special Mention: No 18: Callistemons – Graeme Hardidge

Garden Sculpture.

1st No 71: Cruising the Ocean – Peter Grima
2nd No 90: Cactus Sculpture – Helen Neyland
Special Mention: No 64: Nest – David Doyle

Estate Works.

1st No 108: Bright Eyes (lyrebird) – Neil Findley
2nd No 101: It's a Battle – Joseph Apollonio
Special Mention No 111: Fire + Lightning – Sarita King

There were 22 sales of sculptures.

No comments: