The Association of Sculptors of Victoria is an inclusive, not-for-profit collective of contemporary artists whose purpose is to inspire,stimulate and advance the appreciation, creation, and exploration of three-dimensional art in society.

Sculptor Profile: MARTIN GOLDIN

I migrated to Australia from South Africa at the end of 2012, to follow my children, having retired from Ear, Nose and Throat surgery.

"The Eagle has Landed" from the 2016 Annual
I first started sculpting in SA whilst doing my National Service in the army (1969-1970) on South Africa’s northern border along the Limpopo River. My camp was a tented camp out in the bush where I manned a clinic attending to soldiers and the indigenous population. Some of the locals walked up to 50kms to see me and they often brought wooden carvings to try and sell. I realised how beautiful some of the local timber was, together with having a lot of spare time at my disposal, and so I began carving with some very basic tools.

On my return to civilian life I continued sculpting a little and then in 1972/3 having travelled to England, Ireland and Europe to further my studies, where I was exposed to a lot of art and especially sculpture which inspired me to continue carving.
"Togetherness"


So when back in SA, I continued sculpting as a hobby during my medical career as an ENT Surgeon. I found it complimented my work as a surgeon and was good relaxation for a very stressful occupation. As the family grew I stopped sculpting for several years due to family commitments until almost 30 years later. 

Once the family had moved to Australia and I found that I had more time available. I started sculpting again which fortunately has helped to ease the transition into my retirement.

Once settled in Melbourne, I joined the ASV where I have met and befriended many other people from all parts of the world with a common interest, discussing and swopping ideas.

They are wonderful people from all walks of life utilising a large spectrum of ideas, styles and media, assisting to enhance creativity.

No comments: