The Association of Sculptors of Victoria is an inclusive, not-for-profit collective of contemporary artists whose purpose is to inspire,stimulate and advance the appreciation, creation, and exploration of three-dimensional art in society.

Sculptor profile: SIOMA WAJCHMAN

Sioma’s "Genesis"
won the Tina Wentcher Sculpture Prize in 2014
For as long as I can remember, I have been interested in art and attended painting lessons as a young boy in Poland. However, life in Poland just after the war was quite difficult. During the war my father’s family was killed leaving him as the only surviving Wajchman. The tragedies experienced by so many during the war are a key theme in many of my pieces.

Leaving Poland, 50 or so years ago, I arrived in Australia. I started learning jewelry making and eventually travelled through Europe studying the latest techniques at the time. Upon my return to Australia I opened a small business in Little Bourke St which I ran for many years. Though I was doing the work I loved, the financial demands of a family meant that I did not have any time to explore my ideas in sculpture. However, at this stage of my life, I now have time to create the works that have been in my head for the last 30 years.

The common themes in my work are the hardships of those persecuted during the war in Europe, an exploration of different personality traits, and also the love of my new country, Australia. Looking at my work, you will see that I utilise the techniques I developed through my years as a jeweler. The media I use is also influenced by my trade, as many of my pieces include some stones and precious metals, each one individual.

No comments: