The Association of Sculptors of Victoria is an inclusive, not-for-profit collective of contemporary artists whose purpose is to inspire,stimulate and advance the appreciation, creation, and exploration of three-dimensional art in society.

What didn't make the print version

When we produce the print version of Sculpere Newsletter we can have multiples of four A4 pages so often there is news that doesn't make the cut but is quite worth a read - so here is:

  • a video clip of a talk with Paul Keating
  • announcement of an exhibition and art prize in Ballarat
  • some news about Sculpture by the Sea Cottesloe
  • more about art experiences in Thailand
  • notice of Esther Goldberg in exhibition at White Hill Gallery



******************************
Julie Collins sent an announcement of the GNAP art prize

Post Office Gallery, University of Ballarat
Guirguis New Art Prize 2013

 13 April to 19 May 2013

Contemporary artists hit the Ballarat art scene in an exciting new $20,000 art prize!
Generously supported by Ballarat surgeon Mr Mark Guirguis, the Guirguis New Art Prize or GNAP is a new prestigious national acquisitive art prize, administered by the University of Ballarat.

In the inaugural exhibition, eleven important contemporary Australian artists will exhibit their work at the University of Ballarat's Post Office Gallery and the Art Gallery of Ballarat from Saturday 13 April to Sunday 19 May 2013.

The shortlisted artists are Rebecca Baumann (WA), Fergus Binns, (VIC) Petrina Hicks (NSW), Ash Keating (VIC), Bonnie Lane (VIC), Richard Lewer (WA) Angelica Mesiti (NSW),

David Rosetzky (VIC), Darren Sylvester (VIC), Brendan Van Hek (NSW) and Paul Yore (VIC).


**************************************************

There were some items on Sculpture by the Sea that came through Google Alerts;



Thieves hit WA beach sculptures again

NEWS.com.au
THIEVES have struck for the second straight year at the annual Sculpture by the Sea event on Perth's Cottesloe beach. A piece called ... A spokeswoman for the event organisers said two components from a 30-piece sculpture were stolen on Sunday. The two ...
See all stories on this topic »


and also

Sculpture by the Sea hit by thieves

The Daily Telegraph
of 2. Next >. PART of a sculpture on display at Cottesloe's Sculpture by the Sea has been stolen. Organisers of the event confirmed two components of David Brophy's 're-form' sculpture were stolen sometime between Sunday afternoon and Sunday evening.
See all stories on this topic »

*****************************************


Here is a follow up item from Pimpisa Tinpalit on an art event in Thailand:

I am a native Thai sculptor currently based in Melbourne. Prior to relocating to Australia, I was an art instructor at Silpakorn University in Thailand.

In January 2013, I was invited back to my home country to attend The 9th International Art Workshop at Rajamangala University of Technology at Rattanakosin Poh Chang Campus in Bangkok, The 1st International Art Workshop at Naresuan University in Phitsanulok, and the art project/installation "Light Space Art Project" at Phayao, Thailand. I was authorized to invite Australian artists to accompany me. This year, I brought Laurie Colins, sculptor at Jindervick, Gipsland, Aaron Martin, curator at 5Walls Gallery and Trocadero Artspace Footscray, and we rendezvoused with David Jensz, lecturer in sculpture at Australian National University, Art Workshop.

This international art event was focused on promoting, improving, expanding, and exchanging knowledge in contemporary art circles between Thai and international artists as well as art aficionados. About 82 international artists from 24 countries attended. These, combined with leading Thai national artists and teachers, amounted to roughly 150 total participants.


Weeks one and two involved art workshops at two top ranked Thai universities. This was an amazing opportunity for me to build contacts with professors and artists from many countries. While there, I learned about many new art processes and methods from, and with, the other artists. In life I think we should continue to embrace learning for it's own sake; this way we remain open to new viewpoints and welcome other's life experiences.


I completed an art installation during this time. I used red yarn to wrap found objects such as a chair and ladder to explore inter-object, object-viewer, and inter-viewer perspectives. We had only two days to produce our new art works, so I needed to focus on time management as I also needed to look after my three Australian artists. But I can safely say it was great to get to know, and work with them, in Thailand.


For week three, I was invited to lecture at three universities about my life and art experience. This was an extremely busy time for me; my constant travels made me feel like a migratory bird! My whirlwind travels took me from the very north of Thailand, down to the capital, then east, and finally back to the north again! My lectures and suggestions, garnered from observing the practices and methods of the international artists, not to mention my own theories, left quite an impression on the Thai art students. First stop was at Silpakorn University in Bangkok where I previously served as an art instructor, second was at Ratchasuda College Mahidol University which was quite unique and positive as I gave a lecture to deaf students via two sign-language translators. These lectures were recorded by the university for their art library. Finally, I visited Khon Kaen University talking and gave suggestion with the 4 year students.

My final week was spent at the city of Phayao in northern Thailand, was occupied completing an art project called the "Light Space Project" with artists from Sydney-Melbourne and about seven site-work artists and twenty-four group exhibitions. This project intended to develop cross cultural education in south East Asia and internationally. It was organized by curator Giles Ryder from Sydney. It was a good experience for me to work with large scale projects with only 3 days to complete the work. Here I continued to work with the red yarn wrapped ladders series. I so enjoy this work as I can create within a sculpture-scape; this I am interested in exploring further in the future.So I spent a wonderful and exciting month in Thailand. So many beautiful memories. I returned to Australia energized and inspired to create more art. This has to be the greatest reward by far.

I have an upcoming select group exhibition entitled "For the Love of Stuff" which runs from April 5th-18th at the Brunswick Street Gallery, Fitzroy, VIC.

Also, I am excited to announce my solo show "A Dialoge of Strangers". This will run from July 24th-August 10th, 2013 at Red Gallery, Fitzroy North, VIC.

For more information please contact www.pimpisasculpture.com
****************************************

WHITE HILL GALLERY & SCULPTURE PARK


Presents Bronze and Paint with GEOFF HARRISON and ESTHER GOLDBERG
Opens 9th March 2013 2.00 PM Opened by Clive Jackson


Read more


No comments: