The Association of Sculptors of Victoria is an inclusive, not-for-profit collective of contemporary artists whose purpose is to inspire,stimulate and advance the appreciation, creation, and exploration of three-dimensional art in society.

The June Letter from the President

Greetings,

Last weekend I spent at a farm working in a big, cold, damp, windy shed on an experimental sculpture that no one will buy. There has got to be a better way of spending my time I must be going a little doolally as I actually enjoyed myself.
I had lost direction with my work but by the end of the weekend I was working towards something new so all was not lost except perhaps my sanity. Why do we do these things? Because we love creating. We like to sell our work. We like to know others appreciate what we do. We like to make a living from sculpting but few of us do. So it comes back to the original reason… We love creating.

So what is the value of our work? A few years ago we had an interesting discussion at one of our meetings about putting a price on our work. We now have many new members and I have been asked that question on so many occasions So at our August meeting Michael Meszaros will give us some guidelines into pricing our work and a little about the business side or our art. It will be interesting to get some of your ideas too. The August meeting also happens to be The Annual General Meeting when you can come along and vote out your president and executive committee! You will soon receive nomination forms for new members of the committee.

We’ve past the shortest day and have reached the end of the financial year and we can look forward to working in summer months and I leave you with these 2 quotes by Louise Bourgeois the contemporary French/American sculptor : 1911-2010 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louise_Bourgeois

1. Art is a guarantee of sanity. That is the most important thing I have said.

2. It is a great privilege to be able to work with, and I suppose work off, my feelings through sculpture.










Happy Sculpting
Gillian Govan

No comments: