The Association of Sculptors of Victoria is an inclusive, not-for-profit collective of contemporary artists whose purpose is to inspire,stimulate and advance the appreciation, creation, and exploration of three-dimensional art in society.

President's Letter for April 2013

Hi

Are you an introvert or an extrovert? It doesn’t matter really if you are an artist. I have had some very interesting experiences this month learning about communication through art. Art can be a communicator on two levels firstly through the art itself and secondly through the people we meet and converse with about our art or the art of others,

Last month I sold a sculpture called "Curiosity." The buyer was an education body and the sculpture was to be installed in the courtyard in their building. They liked the stance and the leaning forward and the name as it conveyed the desire to learn and be inquisitive. The sculpture communicated what they wanted to say about education. I also met up with the clients and a group of people who work together to train the educators. My art had introduced me to some really interesting people and given me the opportunity for some interesting discussions about art and its place in education. While talking with them I was given some contacts for some venues in the City that could perhaps suit us for our Annual Exhibition and Awards 2014. We are following these up at the moment and it is looking very positive.

A week or so ago I was asked if I could repair a cold bronze sculpture. I visited the owner, a most interesting charming lady in Parkville who had bought this work in 1960 at the Royal Academy of Art in London. We had a most interesting time talking about our respective visits to the Academy. While there her teenage grandchildren came into the room asking for some canvasses so they could do some painting. …. It isn’t always easy talking with teenagers but with art as a common denominator we became good friends.

Last weekend I took part in an open garden exhibition at Mt. Macedon, as did some of our other members. What a great excuse our sculpture gave us to spend a great weekend talking to each other, garden and art enthusiasts and the owner of the beautiful garden. I was a bit worried about taking my work for just a weekend and having to drive back and forth.

"That’s OK she said the organiser. You can stay with me "

"But I don’t know you" said I "You don’t know me either."

So I stayed with the organiser and her husband at Mt. Macedon for a night and was treated royally and had a wonderful time. Congratulations to members who sold work.

I have mentioned in the past about the pleasure members can get by being at the garden show. I am sure those there this year had a great time meeting many other members, and members of the public and talking about their work. By the sales results the art obviously spoke to a lot of people too.

Are you an introvert or an extrovert…..Doesn’t matter. Art Talks.

 

Happy sculpting
Gillian Govan

No comments: