The Association of Sculptors of Victoria is an inclusive, not-for-profit collective of contemporary artists whose purpose is to inspire,stimulate and advance the appreciation, creation, and exploration of three-dimensional art in society.

Meeting our new Secretary

Most of us have seen Leon's work in exhibitions – first we saw ceramic panels then the fully three dimensional female forms. Now Leon has stepped up to the mark as our secretary. So here is a paraphrased email from Leon – telling us about who he is and what approach he'll take to the year ahead. We can always stand more support – and taking an interest in one another is the first step – over to Leon:

I have a firm belief that unless we have an organization to promote sculpture and sculptors, then we would all be in a sorry state. I suppose, through my training as an administrator, teacher and school Principal for many years, I am a firm believer in everyone following the normal guidelines in running a meeting, working with participating members of the committee and sub-committees. I see my job as collator, facilitator, and just plain worker to the betterment of the Association.

To give some other information as to what I can and can't do and how I may be able to help the Association, I am very inept at general computer use, but my wife Judith, helps me out. I have been "retired" for 15 years from the Education profession, but have run a successful Berry farm, dabbled in Ceramics for the past 40 years selling my ware in Western District towns mostly to friends since my exit from RMIT Art faculty some 40 years ago. We moved to Melbourne at the request of our kids 5 years ago, and my time is now almost entirely given over to ceramic sculpture, my greatest interest in Art.

I should be able to fulfill the Secretarial role giving whatever support I can to Activities, Membership, and help in the Newsletter, and other areas.

I surmise, that it wasn't usual for members to write down a motion, complete with background to the motion, and have this to the secretary some 10 days before a scheduled Committee meeting, thus giving the Secretary time to circulate members of the Committee with the full agenda of the forthcoming meeting some seven days before the meeting. But this would allow Committee members to phone, e-mail, and research new motions as necessary. It promotes a helpful spirit of co-operation amongst members and avoids "dogfights" over contentious points. I support the protocol of moving amendments to a motion that provides consensus and improvement to the outcome.

So far, I have been greatly cheered by the no-nonsense, get on with the project-in-hand attitude of the men and women who take on project roles.

Looking forward to 2009

Leon Frankcom

No comments: