The Association of Sculptors of Victoria is an inclusive, not-for-profit collective of contemporary artists whose purpose is to inspire,stimulate and advance the appreciation, creation, and exploration of three-dimensional art in society.

President's Letter for September

Greetings,

I have just returned from almost 3 weeks in Vietnam. I turned off my iPhone and only checked my emails 3 times…. Bliss. When I returned I opened my emails and realised what busy lives we all lead. There was information about Tesselaar, Our Annual Exhibition and Awards, our involvement in Herring Island Summer Arts Festival and many other exhibitions in which our members are involved. Part of me says “we are too busy” and part says, “How very lucky we are to have the ability, the opportunity and the money to pursue our art.” I met one lady in Vietnam who said, “I am happy I have food” It was a very humbling experience.


On the last days in Ho Chi Minh City we visited the war museum where we saw the story of the Vietnam War and the effects on the present generation. The disabled are employed in factories making crafts for tourists. We also visited the Fine art gallery that displayed religious and social sculptures and paintings. As the windows of the gallery were open to the air, humidity and sun I wonder how long these treasures will last.

I was very interested to see the wonderful selection of sculptures outside the gallery mostly depicting religion, war and society..

I really had a great time and could relax knowing that Jenny, Geoff and all the coordinators had everything under control. Many thanks to them.

Unfortunately Michael Meszaros who would normally have taken the reins for me was in Cairns, not on holiday but with his wife Elspeth who underwent life threatening surgery but is now on the road to recovery. We send our very best wishes to all the family and look forward to a full recovery.

All is going along well for the Annual and all entrants will soon be receiving their invitations. We look forward, as we do every year to joining our fellow sculptors in showcasing our work. Please tell all your friends and acquaintances and forward electronic invitations.

See you at the opening

Happy Sculpting
Gillian Govan

No comments: