The Association of Sculptors of Victoria is an inclusive, not-for-profit collective of contemporary artists whose purpose is to inspire,stimulate and advance the appreciation, creation, and exploration of three-dimensional art in society.

President's Letter for February 2015

Herding Cats – an air traffic controller’s story.

One of my roles as president is to organize committee meetings and recently my efforts bore no fruit to which one of the committee summed up my predicament with the metaphor ‘herding cats’. So it is in this context that I wish to indulge your attention briefly. Cats by their individualistic nature are not too dissimilar to an artist’s temperament both it would seem defy restraint and rounding up and its cool to be a cat. My role it would seem as president does not employ a shepherds crook but the skills of an air traffic controller! On this basis I would like to briefly draw attention away from your singular flight paths and for you to take heed of conditions here on the ground.


At our most recent committee meeting I put forward some proposals that included increasing our membership base, bringing on board younger sculptors, developing a mentor program all in the cause of changing our profile and increasing our resources so that one day in the not too distant future we may have a permanent venue to display our wares. As the new president it was only natural to attempt to turn the page and instil a degree of dynamic change to how things are done in this Association before becoming tarnished by its machinations. To keep the fire burning I need help. The committee is under staffed and over worked . I know you have heard it all before but if no one puts up their hand our chances of exhibiting, and that is why we joined, diminish as does the prospect of a regular venue. This is a golden opportunity for you to have your say and I am prepared to back any one of you who is willing to sign up as a committee member or to take on a co-ordinators role. The key to growth of this Association is to have a Publicity Officer in place or a sub committee to take on this important task. No experience is necessary as you will receive on the spot training just like president does.


I hope I am not banging my head against a brick wall for this little ask?


Those felines who attended our recent activities meeting were not , as I was disappointed. Vincent Tourenebize a ceramicist and sculptor from France inspired us all about his passion for working from moving life models modelling in clay and firing to an unglazed finish. Although I do not work in clay I found that I could readily relate to Vincent’s creative drive. Cats please consider these Activity Meetings where the medium talked about may not be your mode of expression but the underlying passion to create could well be.


Meow!

Here are my contact details:
jeindrans@gmail.com.
Tel. 0422 168 228
Jan Indrans
ASV President.
 

No comments: