The Association of Sculptors of Victoria is an inclusive, not-for-profit collective of contemporary artists whose purpose is to inspire,stimulate and advance the appreciation, creation, and exploration of three-dimensional art in society.

President's Letter for October 2014

Jan Indrans
I joined the ASV back in 2001 to meet fellow kindred spirits and not feel so isolated in the suburbs. I have had since joining the opportunity to create and exhibit my wares with the added occasional bonus of a sale and even a prize or two. Having sat at intermittent shows I have had the pleasure of meeting and sharing ideas with fellow sculptors . I have constantly been amazed at the diversity of talent and conceptions at our seasonal exhibitions. Above all these shows have kept my nose to the grinding wheel to produce sculpture to deadlines and to not loose faith in what I do.

To some degree the ASV has kept my creative flame alight I was happy to show my support by occasionally sitting on the committee as secretary and newsletter editor . And so it is in this frame of mind that I have taken on the presidency. What big boots to fill! Gillian Govan has left me an outstanding legacy. I hope I can build upon this and perhaps embellish it in my own particular way. I hope to draw strength from the committee that doesn’t sleep some of whom I know, these guys work hard for all of us.

As for vision nothing is too clear at the beginning, a morning mist awaiting the sun to creep through. If I were to draw up a wish list of what I’d like for the Association it would be to draw in the outer edges of our circle, young bloods, new members and country associates I sense a wealth of untapped energy out there. Our foot print in the city in the past and most recently has I feel proved a success and needs to be built upon for it is here in the centre where our client base resides. A changing world requires adaptability and sometimes compromise like a stalk of grass we ought to bend with the wind. Furthermore I would like to give my constant support to all the sub committees and not least you the members. Should you be unhappy with my efforts ( and I know that I will not please everyone) then put up your hand, I’ll keep the seat warm for you.

I look forward to working constructively with you all.

Jan Indrans ASV President.

No comments: