The Association of Sculptors of Victoria is an inclusive, not-for-profit collective of contemporary artists whose purpose is to inspire,stimulate and advance the appreciation, creation, and exploration of three-dimensional art in society.

Presidents Message for June

Hi All,
Like the newsletter my message will be short this month as I have just, today, returned from overseas.  If this all seems a bit jet lagged… it is. Holidays are taken for many reasons. Top of the list is for a rest.
That I really had, as I received few emailsand phone calls and was able to switch off from many of the family, sculptural and business issues.  Though none of these things go away it is an opportunity to recharge the batteries. I would like to thank the committee for taking the reins in my absence. Another reason for taking a holiday is to experience new situations, people and places and to be inspired by our wonderful world.  I have brought back some wonderful memories and of course photographs of the dramatic mountains and lakes of Canada and its friendly people. Holidays can also be opportunities to revisit places and reunite with friends, and family.  This I did spending time with school friends, relatives and work mates. One of my highlights was the 50-year reunion with the girls with whom I did my nurses training in England. I also find holidays and travel a great time look at art. For sculptors and painters I think there is a magnet that draws us to the art and culture of countries we visit. In Canada I saw the totems and art work of the first nation people, the carving studio of a man who carves the most beautiful delicate feathers in yellow cedar and the monumental metal sculptures of Tony Bloom, as well as photography painting and printmaking. In Scotland I went with a cousin of my late husband to the Glasgow school of art in a building designed by the designer and architect Rennie Mackintosh. It was a brilliant exhibition of work by the graduating students and then a visit to the Kelvin Grove gallery was a must. Walking the highlands of Scotland I came across not only man-made sculptures but some of the most beautiful works of nature. The grand finale was a visit to the home and studio of Henry Moore in Hertfordshire. While this is usually open to the public I was fortunate to be there for a large exhibition of both Henry Moore and Rodin’s work. There were so many pieces around the picturesque gardens that we later found we had missed some. The highlight I think was being able to go into Moore’s home and studio and see maquettes, drawings and original prints and sketches of his work.  So inspirational.  These days our holiday memories can be brought back in the form of digital photography. I would like to share a just few of my sculptural memories on Wednesday the 10th June at our show and tell meeting. I look forward to seeing and hearing about the works and pieces of interest that you will bring along. Happy sculpting.
Gillian Govan

No comments: