Our next meeting will be held on Wednesday the 11th of July at the Masonic Hall Rowans Road Moorabbin Melway Ref 77H7
You can call it a reunion, a get together, an un-birthday party, a networking night, but whatever you call it; it could be a great fun night for a group of people with like interest and passion for creating.
It would be great to see some our members who have not managed to get to meetings recently. I will also be sending invitations to past members as far back as 2002. It would be great to see some familiar faces of members who were active with the ASV in the past.
As you know the August meeting is the Annual General meeting and I have some other speakers up my sleeve for the coming months. Gordon has also promised his home again later in the year.
As I have mentioned before Jenny Rickards has been taking Photos of your works in exhibitions for some years and then preparing them for the website. This has been an enormous task that could be made easier for her. I would like some feedback on the following suggestions.
1. Entrants should supply their own photos which would only be put on website if they are good enough quality images. The risk here is that some works in an exhibition might not have images.
2. Have volunteers take photos in a designated area at time of delivery of works. E.g. at MIFGS – and at MIFGS that means setting up your work twice.
3. Buy a camera for the Association that would take really good sharp images while masking the background.
4. Hire a professional photographer to take photographs after exhibition set up and download images straight to the website. This would incur extra cost for the members. Possibly around $25 per sculpture compared with around $200 if sculptors use a professional photographer just for their own work.
5. Allow Jenny to continue this arduous task. But if Jenny hires or buys extra equipment she will charge a bit more for MIFGS, other exhibitions are relatively easy to record.
6. Put up with poor quality photos on the website
7. Any other suggestions. Is there anyone out there prepared to take photographs?
Note from Jenny:
Could members look at the MIFGS 2012 images on http://sculptorsvictoria.asn.au/exhibition_catalogue.php?&exhib_type=Melbourne+International+Flower+%26+Garden+Show&exhib_year=2012. These images have been heavily processed to make the work read against the busy background of the flower show. Some of the images have come out ok – so if members want good resolution copies of what I have done I’ll email to you on request.
Contact me at