The Association of Sculptors of Victoria is an inclusive, not-for-profit collective of contemporary artists whose purpose is to inspire,stimulate and advance the appreciation, creation, and exploration of three-dimensional art in society.

Interview with Sculptor, Anne Anderson

‘Hidden Treasure’, (220 x 800 x 400) Painted clay
After recently moving to Melbourne, I joined the ASV. I have been a very active member of the Sculptors’ Society Gold Coast for about ten years. This association with like-minded people, has brought me much joy and given me many opportunities to hopefully improve my craft. Amongst other duties, I was the coordinator of life model sessions for about six years. My preference of working with the human form was heightened as I realized that the more I learnt, the more there was to learn. I will never win any awards for my choice of theme, with the female form being the most popular subject known to artists, and often considered boring to some and decidedly out-dated to others, but this is of no concern to me. I adore the voluptuous richness of the human body and the endless exploration of human emotion through our facial expressions.

‘Two Dogs’
(600 x 220 x x 220)
painted clay
I equally enjoy working in both contemporary and realistic styles, with my ultimate aim being to successfully combine the two. I think that it is important to learn who you are as an artist and then start the experimentation process. My subject allows me to discover and view the serious, the sensitive, the mundane, the contemplative, the joyous, the devastated, and all manner of emotions between. I give myself permission to explore passion, pleasure,
grief and relief, all through my mind’s eye and attempt to transfer my thoughts to my work.

I first studied sculpture in Melbourne in my early twenties, but as many people find, life took over. In my case, this was in the form of running a business and having babies……such wonderful diversions that I feel only help me to enjoy my sculpting now, when I am in a better position to choose how to use my time as my own. Clay is my dominant medium. I can’t get past the incredible scope you have with this wonderful natural resource. With my most-often used BRT, I greatly appreciate its strength, flexibility and reliability and my many errors are easily repaired. The down-side of this variety of clay, is the large amount of grog included in the mix, but I have learnt to work with this and accept the imperfect, but ultimately interesting finish that is achieved.

‘Southern Heat’ (300 x 250 x 250 cm) painted clay
all photography courtessy of Anne Anderson
I don’t try to intellectualise my art, but do enjoy common discussion amongst other artists regarding our constant experimentation and varying techniques. We can all learn from each other, and I often feel extremely motivated to create after being involved in a lively discussion. Notably, this was the case after the afternoon I enjoyed recently at the ASV Christmas get-together at Gillian’s home, with several members. I look forward to more gatherings and exhibitions involving the Victorian Sculptors.
Anne Anderson

No comments: